Apply for Job Training
Growing Home, Inc. recruits committed individuals to work as Production Associates at our organic agriculture business. We offer two, 14‐week employment and training opportunities beginning in the spring of each year. Applications for the first cohort will be accepted in February and applications for the second cohort will be accepted in May.
If you are interested in jobs in agriculture, landscaping, customer service, and/or food service, you may be a good candidate for Growing Home.
Please review the following job description carefully. Qualified individuals will be selected to interview based on the quality of their application and their demonstrated interest in addition to their motivation to pursue related occupations in landscaping, food service, or customer service related industries.
- Minimum 24 hours per week
- Paid $8.25/hour every 2 weeks
- Job readiness classroom participation is mandatory
- Assistance with job placement
Rotating Work Schedule
- Sunday: Off
- Monday: Off
- Tuesday: 8:00am-2:30pm/11:00am-2:30pm
- Wednesday: 8:00am-2:30pm/6:00am-3:30pm
- Thursday: 8:00am-2:30pm/6:00am-3:30pm
- Friday: 8:00am-2:30pm/11:00am-2:30pm
- Saturday: Off
*ALL PRODUCTION ASSOCIATES WILL BE ASKED TO WORK A SATURDAY MARKET DURING THE 14 WEEKS OF EMPLOYMENT & TRAINING.
Work is primarily performed outdoors, subject to varying weather conditions, and includes bending, lifting, stooping, squatting and standing for extended periods of time.
All participants are required to take classes in agricultural sciences, job readiness, job retention, and customer service. Therefore, applicants must be able to read, write, and do math at a 6th grade level.
- Planting, weeding, watering, transplanting, and harvesting crops;
- Efficiently weigh and package produce for purchase;
- Care for established lawns and walkways; plant ornamental flower beds, prune and trim trees,shrubs, bushes, and hedges
- Assist with farmers’ markets and farm stand responsibilities;
- Complete sales, stock display, and record inventory at markets;
- Educate customers on Growing Home’s USDA Certified Organic produce
- Represent Growing Home at community events
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, outcomes oriented setting;
- Ability to learn tasks quickly, demonstrate new skills, and take on increasing levels of responsibility;
- Highly conscientious about quality of their work;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and duties;
- Physical capacity to work outdoors in various weather conditions and to dig, bend, lift, and stand for sustained periods of time;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule at different farm/market sites including some early mornings, Saturdays and late afternoons; Basic math, reading, and computer skills;
- Willingness to fully engage in training and classroom sessions;
- Serious commitment to achieve educational and employment goals;
- High level of motivation, enthusiasm, and potential to complete the program successfully;
- Experience in growing vegetables, landscaping and/or food preparation preferred but not required
- Must be a Chicago resident
- Valid drivers license is a plus.
2014 Application Process
All individuals interested in applying at Growing Home MUST attend an application session to apply. Application sessions will include a detailed description of Growing Home’s employment & training program as well as the application and hiring process.
Sessions will be held at Growing Home’s Wood St. Farm ‐5814 S. Wood St. Chicago, IL. 60636. Please register for an information session by calling Tonika Johnson, Program Assistant, at 773‐ 434‐7144. When leaving a message please provide your name, valid telephone number and an explanation of why you are calling.
Walk‐ins WILL NOT be accepted at application sessions. All attendees will be required to show photo identification and/or have a verifiable referral from an applicable source upon arrival to their scheduled application session.
- Step 1: Call 773-‐434-‐7144 to schedule application session
- Step 2: Attend application session
- Step 3: Eligible applicants will receive phone call to attend an interview
- Step 4: Eligible interviewees will receive a phone call to attend an intake session
- Step 5: Attend orientation
- Step 6: Hiring/enrollment of Production Associate
If you are a representative of an agency that would like to refer a candidate or schedule an application session at your site, please contact Shaniece Alexander, Employment Training Manager at email@example.com; applicants are still required to call and schedule an information session in order to apply even with a referral.