Apply for Job Training
AS OF MAY 6TH, THE APPLICATION PROCESS FOR 2013 COHORT TWO IS NOW OPEN!
Please read the information below and call Shaniece Alexander at 773.434.7144 to register for an information session.
Every year Growing Home recruits promising individuals to work as interns at our organic agriculture business. If you are interested in the local food movement and jobs in agriculture, landscaping, customer service, and/or food preparation you may be a good candidate for Growing Home.
We offer two 14-week employment and training opportunities beginning March 26, 2013. There are two groups of interns selected to work during the growing season. Recruitment for the first cohort, which began in February, is now complete, and recruitment for the second cohort will begin in June. Please review the following job description carefully. Qualified individuals will be selected to interview based on the quality of their application and their demonstrated interest in working in agriculture in addition to their motivation to pursue related occupations in landscaping, food preparation, or customer service related industries.
There are two schedules that all interns work on a rotating basis: Tuesday-Friday 8:00-2:30 OR Tuesday and Friday 11:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and Wednesday and Thursday 6:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Interns must be able to work these schedules in addition to some evening or weekend hours as needed.
Work is primarily performed outdoors, subject to varying weather conditions, and includes bending, lifting, stooping, squatting and standing for extended periods of time.
All program participants are required to take classes in agricultural sciences, job readiness, job retention, and customer service. Therefore, applicants must be able to read, write, and do math at a 6th grade level. Interns will also be required to choose to focus on several industry specific skill areas. This includes landscaping, and food preparation. Interns in each track will obtain specialized skill development opportunities throughout their time here at Growing Home. Applicants must select a track to pursue upon applying for the employment and training opportunity with Growing Home.
$8.25 per hour/at least 24 hours per week. Interns must participate in ALL classroom activities to successfully complete the job readiness-training program.
• Provide operations support for certified organic farm sites such as planting, weeding, watering, transplanting, and harvesting crops;
• Efficiently weigh and package produce for CSA boxes;
• Care for established lawns and walkways; plant ornamental flower beds, prune and trim trees, shrubs, bushes, and hedges
• Set up market stand/display at farmers’ markets and farm stands;
• Transact sales, stock display, and record inventory at markets;
• Educate customers on nutritional value and preparation methods of Growing Home produce;
• Represent Growing Home at community events
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, outcomes oriented setting;
• Ability to learn tasks quickly, demonstrate new skills, and take on increasing levels of responsibility;
• Highly conscientious about quality of their work;
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and duties;
• Physical capacity to work outdoors in various weather conditions and to dig, bend, lift, and stand for sustained periods of time;
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule at different farm/market sites including some early mornings, Saturdays and late afternoons;
• Basic math, reading, and computer skills;
• Willingness to fully engage in training and classroom sessions;
• Serious commitment to achieve educational and employment goals;
• High level of motivation, enthusiasm, and potential to complete the program successfully;
• Experience in growing vegetables, landscaping and/or food preparation preferred but not required;
• Valid driver’s license a plus
• Chicago resident
The Application Process
All individuals interested in applying at Growing Home MUST attend an information session to be eligible to receive an application. Information sessions will consist of a detailed overview of Growing Home’s program as well as the application and hiring process. Information sessions will be held at Growing Home’s Wood St. Farm -5814 S. Wood St. Chicago, IL. 60636 -between 9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m. on the following dates only.
Cohort 1 (begins March 26, 2012)
Cohort 2 (begins July 9, 2012)
June 3, 2013
June 10, 2013
June 17, 2013
Please register for an information session by calling Shaniece Alexander, Employment Training Coordinator, at 773-434-7144. If you must leave a message please provide your name, and valid telephone number. Walk-ins WILL NOT be accepted at information sessions. All attendees will be required to show current photo identification and/or have a verifiable referral from an applicable source upon arrival to their scheduled information session.
If you are a representative of an agency that would like to refer a candidate or have an information session, please contact Shaniece Alexander at email@example.com prior to the beginning of the information session for confirmation of referral; applicants are still required to call and schedule an information session in order to apply.